Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Verizon & FedEx

Oh such joy these past 2 weeks. So upon returning to the US I went & got myself a Blackberry. Said Blackberry has had numerous issues with freezing on me & not working again until the error message comes up & has me reset the phone. Not acceptable working conditions. It didn't start really acting like that until after I moved to Saginaw, but luckily on January 17 I was back home for some appointments, so I ran into the store at the mall & talked to "Ray", the guy working that day. This guy was either intellectually challenged or inept at his job, as he told me to just hook the phone up to my computer & update it, and that should help. I explained my situation and how I had moved out of town & asked him if I could take the phone into any Verizon store if I still had problems with it. Oh yeah, of course you can...

No. No, you can't. So after a trip to the local Verizon store on January 19, where they told me that I would have to drive the 2 hrs home in the next 2 days (in the midst of orientation/class & studying for Comp) before my 30-day warranty ended or come back to them then & they'd give me a refurbished phone. Again, no. Called the guy I bought the phone from & explained the situation, and he assured me that they would FedEx a phone to me & then I could just send back the defective one. Ok, great, Jon, you rock. Expect the phone on either Friday or Monday...

Wednesday, January 26 rolls around. A working Blackberry has yet to be seen. So I call the Verizon store again and am told to look up the phone number for the nearest FedEx location & they probably have the phone there. Google fails me in this regard, and after I don't even KNOW how many more calls to Verizon & FedEx both, I am informed that FedEx sent the phone back because they had the wrong address. Call Verizon again & let them know what happened, and they go to send another phone. The FedEx system won't let them put in both digits of my apartment number (people with 3 digits are just screwed!), so the girl I was talking to figured out a way around it to make sure it would get to me this time. The phone will be sent out Thursday & arrive Friday or Monday. Awesome, about time!

Well on Friday the 28th I had class until like 3pm, and of course missed FedEx, BUT they left a door tag saying either go pick it up or they would try to deliver two more times. Well that's perfect because Monday, the 31st is only a half day & Tuesday we have nothing scheduled. Now on Monday I get back from class around 11am and am delighted to find no door tag. I didn't miss FedEx! I'll have a phone by the end of the day! ...no again. FedEx never showed up yesterday. Finally I called FedEx this morning to try to figure out what happened, and they tell me that they sent the freaking phone back to Verizon... after ONE attempt at delivery. Now they are supposedly looking into the situation. They were also supposed to call me about the case today "after 1pm". When I called at 4 the lady sounded irritated that I wasn't patient enough & informed me that they were still working on my case. How hard can it be to find out WHY they sent back a package without really trying to deliver it? Anyway, I just got off the phone with Verizon now after being on hold for a full 20 minutes. They can't order another one until they receive phone number 2 back. Ok, that's fine. I just wanted to make sure I get a stinking phone... you know, sometime this decade. Hopefully I will hear back from FedEx tomorrow, and the person I spoke with at Verizon said she would call me back either Thursday or Friday to let me know when they are shipping a working Blackberry.

Overall, so far Verizon gets a passing grade for handling the situation fairly well (except for Ray of course), and FedEx gets a FAIL.


  1. Get an Android phone. Like the Droid Incredible...

    Also FedEx won't return a package - they'll even call to find the correct address. Verizon screwed this one up.

  2. I can't get a different kind of phone now, the Blackberry is less than 2 months old. But FedEx has returned TWO packages. One with a correct address after only trying to get it to me once. And they never called me back about my case. I had to call again tonight and ask again because they didn't even put it on file to call me despite telling me that they would.